LAWRENCE— A University of Kansas student designer who presented at the recent Kennedy Center American College Theatre Festival (KCACTF), Region V, received two first-place awards from the judging panel and will advance to nationals.
Lindsay Webster, a second-year MFA student from Novi, Michigan, earned National 1st Place for Costume Design. She also received a Regional 1st Place for Scenic Design. Both were for “Macbeth,” an academic project in the Department of Theatre & Dance.
Several KU faculty members, students and a staff member earned certificates of merit from the KCACTF Region V judge who attended and responded to the University Theatre productions:
- Darci Jens Fulcher, visiting assistant professor for movement direction, was honored for “Musings of Fire,” spring 2021.
- Cassandra Ludlum, a third-year student from Topeka, was honored for costume design on “The Devils Between Us,” fall 2021.
- MacKenzie Needham, a senior from Andover, was honored for lighting design on “The Devils Between Us,” fall 2021.
- John Dylon Rohr, a third-year MFA student from Arkansas City, was honored for costume design on “Head Over Heels,” fall 2021; “Changemakers,” spring 2021; and scenic and lighting design on “Musings of Fire,” spring 2021.
- Ann Sitzman, technical coordinator for the department, was honored for lighting design on “Head Over Heels,” fall 2021.
- Santiago Sosa, a former visiting assistant professor in the department, was honored for direction, adaptation and concept on “Musings of Fire,” spring 2021.
- Webster was also honored scenic design on “Head Over Heels,” fall 2021, and projection design on “Musings of Fire,” spring 2021.
- Jillian Wilson, a senior from Chanute, was honored for stage management on “Changemakers,” spring 2021.
The directors, playwrights, cast and entire creative team of “Changemakers” earned a commendation for collaboration. Further, the cast of “Musings of Fire” earned a commendation for ensemble performance and its production staff and crew for multimedia collaboration. Additionally, the department was invited to show scenes from “Changemakers” at KCACTF Region V Festival. A series of original short works in response to the pandemic and the fight for racial justice, “Changemakers” featured writing by commissioned, professional playwrights working alongside KU students. It is free to view this production online.
The Department of Theatre & Dance is one of three departments in the School of the Arts. As part of the KU College of Liberal Arts & Sciences, the School of the Arts offers fresh possibilities for collaboration between the arts and the humanities, sciences, social sciences, international and interdisciplinary studies. To learn more about the Department, visit theatredance.ku.edu.