M.A. & Ph.D. Admissions
To apply for Fall admission into the M.A. or Ph.D. program, please submit all application materials no later than: January 1 (to be considered for admission with financial support) or February 15 (for admission consideration without financial support.). The Department does not admit new students for the Spring or Summer terms.
To be considered for admission, prospective graduate students are expected to meet the following minimum standards:
- an overall undergraduate GPA of no less than 3.2.
- an overall GPA of no less than 3.5 in the major and in previous graduate studies.
Non-native English Speakers must demonstrate proof of English proficiency before gaining admission to a graduate program. More information regarding Proof of Proficiency for Non-Native Speakers and Graduate Teaching Assistantship language requirements is available on the Graduate Studies English Proficiency Requirements website.
Online Submission of Application and Fee
Your Application Form, Application Materials, and Application Fee should be submitted online through Graduate Studies.
Required Application Materials for M.A. and Ph.D.
- Our holistic application evaluations are based on several criteria: Undergraduate/Graduate GPA, written or portfolio samples, previous experience, and the fit of your interests with our program. The GRE is not required as part of our application materials but applicants who wish to send scores may do so (for routing, our institution code is 6871; department code is 2403).
- An official transcript, sent directly to KU, from your baccalaureate granting institution, and transcripts from all institutions attended post-baccalaureate.
- Three (3) recent letters of recommendation, two of which should be from your current or former teachers. This occurs online. Be prepared to provide the names and email addresses of the three people who will be providing letters for you.
- A current resume of academic and artistic experiences.
- A statement of personal goals that explains why you want to pursue graduate study in theatre.
- A writing sample (no more than 15 pages) that demonstrates your ability to theorize, analyze, and synthesize scholarly information. (Please do not send theses, CDs, DVDs, or video tapes.)
Graduate Administrative Associate
University of Kansas
Department of Theatre & Dance
356 Murphy Hall
1530 Naismith Drive
Lawrence, KS 66045-3140