M.F.A. Scenography Admissions
To apply for admission into the M.F.A. Scenography program, please submit all application materials no later than January 15 (to be considered for admission with financial support) or April 15 (for admission consideration without financial support.). The Department does not admit new students for the Spring or Summer terms.
Required Application Materials for M.F.A. Applicants
- An official transcript, sent directly to KU, from your baccalaureate granting institution, and transcripts from all institutions attended post-baccalaureate.
- Three (3) recent letters of recommendation, two of which should be from your current or former teachers and/or those able to recommend you on the basis of professional design experience. Completed letters with accompanying forms may be sent directly to the Department by your recommenders or submitted online.
- A current resume of academic and artistic experiences.
- A comprehensive statement of your theatre design philosophy and the objective you hope to achieve through graduate study.
- Applicants are encouraged to bring their portfolios to campus for an interview and tour of the theatre facilities. Please contact Professor Kelly Vogel, Head of Design, to schedule an interview.
- Portfolio. CD-ROMs, CDs, DVDs and/or a comprehensive 35mm slide portfolio (including a slide information sheet with name, number of each corresponding slide, title, and date) of your undergraduate and/or professional work must be submitted if you do not visit the program. The portfolio may consist of realized designs, class work or paper projects, drafting and other technical preparation, art or illustration work, or photographs of models. Evidence of CAD is desirable. A self-addressed return mailer, including return postage, must be submitted or the materials will not be returned.
Non-native English speakers must demonstrate proof of English proficiency before gaining admission to a graduate program. More information regarding Proof of Proficiency for Non-Native Speakers and Graduate Teaching Assistantship language requirements is available from Graduate Admissions.