Students perform in a scene from the musical "Merrily We Roll Along."

Musical Theatre

Although there is no concentration, you can study musical theatre at KU as a Theatre major.

By becoming a theatre major (either B.G.S. or B.A.), you will get a high quality performance degree, studying acting, directing, voice (speech, dialects), movement, technical theatre, performance history, AND training in musical theatre. Students focused on musical theatre are also advised to:

  • Take THR 210, 310, & 410: Musical Performance for the Actor 1, 2, & 3.
  • Audition for the voice program and get a teaching assistant from whom you can take voice lessons (classical voice training, but every student of musical theatre needs to learn how to sing well).
  • Take dance classes, as many as you can fit into your schedule.
  • Take THR 380 Popular Culture: American Musical Theatre or the musical theatre history course offered through the School of Music.
  • Take piano and ear training.
  • Perform in a choir.
  • Audition for the University Theatre & University Dance Company.